Soil Painting Tutorial Part D
Soil Painting Tutorial
In this video, I share some of the artworks I made using soil paints on watercolour paper. Techniques featured include:
- Backgrounds painted with soil paints, and sealed with either shellac or diluted pva glue.
- Simple handstitching using a limited number of stitch types.
- Threads used for stitching - a limited colour palette and varying thicknesses.
- Adding collage; also see more examples here and here (click on the thumbnails to see all the photos etc).
- Preparation for hand stitching into paper.
- Design ideas.
- See more artworks using soil paints here. (again, click on the thumbnails to see all the photos etc).
These same ideas can be used on soil painted fabrics (as shown in Part C), but if you use papers you will need to seal them on both sides before adhering and/or stitching them to fabric to prevent disintegration. I use diluted pva glue or shellac, but you can also paint them with matt medium.
(c) Rita Summers
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which we operate in northern Tasmania. We would also like to pay our respects to Elders past, present and future.